Sep 7, 2010

Tropical Storm Earl

As hurricane Earl came up the eastern seaboard it's power slowly diminished finally becoming a tropical storm by the time it was parallel to the North Fork last Friday afternoon.  The rain measured a little less than three inches in my gauge though it might have been more as rain flying sideways would have a tough time getting in there.  The wind gusted to over forty miles per hour off and on during the day making me glad that we'd buttoned up a bit by taking down hanging plants from the front porch, putting all the lawn furniture in the garage and staking down the canopy over the deck and the boat on it's trailer.  We've seen boats in houses and hung up in trees after Andrew hit Florida so I thought I'd go ahead and take the precaution.  I find it hard to imagine a wind of 125 mph!  We felt our home would not have any problems as it had survived the big one back in 1938 that had destroyed nearby structures.

Around 4 pm, knowing that Earl had passed us by out to sea, we decided to make a run down to the South Fork to take a look at the Atlantic.  With very little traffic on the road we made good time and were on the Ponquogue Bridge approaching the Shinnecock Inlet 40 minutes later, an inlet that was created by the storm in '38, only to find a police car barring most of the road.  I think he was there to warn folks of the deep water ahead but he was letting SUVs through.  It was very deep in places but slowly we were able to get near the inlet, park, put on foul weather gear and step into the wind and driving rain.  I've stood on the jetty and fished in the sun many times with the water below me as much as 10 feet and more.  Today it wasn't a safe place to perch.

Click on photos to enlarge.

For Skywatch Friday photos click here.

For more My World photos click here.


Viola said...

Fantastic photos and waves! Admiring them.. :)

Shey said...

I'm glad that your family is alright. I've heard that Earl was very strong & many prepared for it like you did.

These are amazing photos & you can still see the remnants of Earl. I can understand why there was a police car to remind folks it's not safe yet.

Have a great week. :)

Charlotte's Color Specialist said...

I have a friends in Setauket. I'll have to call her and she how her town is. Thanks for the update!

J. Evan Kreider said...

It is nearly impossible to capture the power of water and wind in photographs, but you have done it. (But of course I would prefer a shot of a boat in a tree.)

Cloudia said...

Glad the storm blew me back to this happy cove!

Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

J Bar said...

That's rough.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Sylvia K said...

I'm so glad you and your family are okay, Mark! Such dramatic skies in spite of the gray color that's usually bland. And you've captured the feeling of the power of the storm. Not easy to do! Really superb!
Hope you have a great weekend!


fickleinpink said...

rough waters...

i hope everyone's okay!
Happy Skywatching!

Please come and visit if you have some time! Happy weekend :)

Find me here : Metropolis


(now a follower)

Luna Miranda said...

terrific photos. good to know the storm was not as destructive.

DrillerAA09 said...

It is difficult to imagine sustained winds in excess of 100 mph.
The gray in the sky and the sea set a truly menacing mood. Nice work.

BraCom (Bram) said...

Beautiful SkyWatch photos, thanks for sharing

Happy SWF! Have a nice and wonderful weekend,

Regards, Bram

My SkyWatch on WordPress

Seen on Sky Watch Friday, Season 4, Episode 9

diane said...

Mark, I don't mind telling you that I find those waves to be a little intimidating.
Now that the storm has passed I hope you enjoy the week-end ahead. xo d