Jan 17, 2010

Of and Near the Water


These photos were taken at different times and places.  The common thread is water.



This fall the grasses by the East Creek Inlet showed lots of color.




The Long Island Rail Road's tracks and stony bed provide the hard surface needed by gulls to break shellfish shells to get at the goodies inside, a "clam opener". We sometimes watch juvenile gulls pick up their latest clam find, fly up in the air, then drop it onto soft sandy beach.  This is repeated for quite some time until their bird brain finally gets it (hence the term?).  This section of track passes through Dam Pond Preserve.



Things left or uncovered in a tide pool after the tide has gone out.




This is a fresh water pond that fills with rain water and melted snow runoff.




Whelk Shell

For more of my World Tuesday photos from around the globe click here.

12 comments:

Helen said...

Beautiful pictures. That was interesting about the gulls breaking their clam shells on the RR tracks.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures. The clam opener made me laugh. I love the grass on the first picture.

Gemel said...

LOVE the photos, you always delight me with your art.

Bless the seagulls, I love them, even if they are a tad thick!

Tania said...

Beautiful shots:-) Waiting for the spring..
Have a great day!

Suki said...

Beautiful photos...such warm colours..

J. Evan Kreider said...

I am drawn to the fresh water pond, particularly its soft fall colours and the way the colours are reflected in the utterly still water.

Wolynski said...

Beautiful colors. I do so love Long Island.

I'm surprised these seagulls learn anything at all.

Sylvia K said...

Lovely colors and I love the shell and the reflections in the water -- superb! Hope you have a great week, Mark!

Sylvia

elvira pajarola said...

FANTASTIC IMPRESSIONS....COMPLIMENTS!!!!

I enjoyed looking at many of your latest Photos...it's a great pleasure!!!!!
ciao elvira

Regina said...

Beautiful scenes!
Great shots.

Nishant said...

Great pictures. The clam opener made me laugh. I love the grass on the first picture.

Work from home India

Icymar "Iceman" Tagimacruz said...

wow.. found this picture while searching in google.. nice..

.....Ice